For our FS1 parents, here is a selection of ideas to challenge your children at home.
Sharing lots of stories
As you look at books, why not try these ideas?
- Predicting what might happen next in the story
- Choosing your favourite part of the story
- Deciding who your favourite character is and drawing a picture of them
- Re-telling a familiar story using the pictures as prompts.
Singing lots of nursery rhymes
You’ll find a lovely selection on the BBC School Radio. Use the link below:
Large or small, in lots of different contexts; you could try using mark making skills to:
- Writing a shopping list
- Write a recipe
- Make a sign
- Write a letter/message
- Label a model or picture
Don’t forget to ‘nip, flip and grip’ your pencil!
Practising Phonics Skills
- Discriminating between sounds – you could try playing a mystery sound game! (one person hides and makes a sound e.g. clapping/stomping/yawning, whilst the second person guesses what the sound was!)
- Spotting words that rhyme in songs or stories
You can also find some online Phase 1 Phonics games on Phonics Play.
Challenging careful counting
You can practise these skills in lots of different contexts. Have you tried counting: toys, pieces of food, coins, buttons, steps, claps and jumps?
Here are some online counting activities: